Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gothemoabilly.

I've always had a passing interest in fashion.  I've flipped through Vogue with a some curiosity, but quickly became annoyed with all the ads.  Me, my mom and my sister went and saw The September Issue at the Lagoon at 50th and France in Edina when it came out, and I do know my brands.  I know a Chanel when I see it (to an extent) Burberry (obviously) and I own a Marc Jacobs dress.  I don't fit into it, but I own the sucker!  I don't think label and brands are important though.  The majority of my wardrobe is from Target so obviously I don't have expensive taste, but I can appreciate fashion that is a work of art when I see it.  I have an appreciation for people who dress however they want, expressing themselves through their clothes and making a bold statement.  I have noticed that Halloween, or the more macabre, influences a lot of fashion trends, three in particular, Goth, Emo and Rockabilly.  In fact, all three of these trends claim stock to the skull and crossbones trend (when we all know it's pirates who can truly claim it as their own.)  I am neither of these genres of fashion.  Yes, people identify so much with these styles that they claim to "be" them, as much as they claim to me a certain gender, religion or race.  Let's explore these, shall we?

Out of Goth, Emo and Rockabilly I have experimented with two.  Most recently, the Rockabilly style, this summer.   

Here I am with my daughter Violet in June.  I essentially just dyed my hair black and rocked a scarf with a top knot.  It wasn't terribly revolutionary, and I do not look good with black hair, so this look was soon abandoned.  But I was inspired mostly by the cool girls that showed up to the classic car shows I go to in the summer with my in-laws.  A lot of the Rockabilly girls are in to classic cars. 

Here is an example of Rockabilly done well:


And...

Also...

It is a throwback fashion.  Inspired by the rebel girls of the '50's and '60's.  These neo-rockabilly girls have black, two-toned, or bright red hair, with top-knot scarves or, what Tumblr calls "victory rolls." Vintage clothing worn is a vintage way and lots and lots of tattoos and piercings.  These girls usually look great if the style is done right.  You can't really half-ass Rockabilly.  FYI, the term Rockabilly, which originated in the '40's and '50's, is a combination of "rock n' roll" and "hillbilly." 

Next, is Goth.  Oh, goths...you silly, sad characters, you.  To me, Goth is a '90's trend.  I know it started in the '80's with The Cure and whatnot, and I know that there are hardcore goths that exist and love Skinny Puppy and Throbbing Gristle and all this music that kind of scares me, and DO NOT see goth as a trend but a way of life, and for that I salute them, but since I came of age in the late '90's and early 2000's and made a not-really-serious attempt at goth, I think it's a trend....but one I hold dear to me heart!

Here is a "typical" goth:

And...

Also...

Goth also included lots of black hair.  But that's it.  Only black.  And seems like a lot of uncomfortable work.  Look how fussy that skirt is in the middle picture!  Ugh.  I see a lot of goths out at the Minnesota Fair (everyone loves the Minnesota Fair) which happens at the end of August and it's hotter than hell, but these kids are wearing their long black pants and long, black band t-shirts and they look so unhappy!  This trend may or may not require a lot of tattoos or piercings, and it is not for the faint of heart, or those who get overheated easily.  And it requires you to either be sad or act like you are sad most of the time, and I'm just not.

Lastly, emo.

Which is....

And....


Apprently the same haircut is required.  Aside from that my knowledge of emo is nil.  I was doing a little research about it online today, and emo kids really don't want other emo kids to cut or kill themselves, so that's noble.  But the operative word here is "kids."  I'm going to be 29 in 3 months.  I am not a kid.  This trend seemed to have taken off after I left "kid" world behind....the second I no longer had to walk the halls of Blaine High School (I've often said "I hated teenagers even when I was one.")

The thing these three looks have in common is, aside from the obvious "individualism", with has since been homogenized within it's own style, no longer making you unique among other people who also dress and look this way, is the darker side of life.

Rockabilly celebrates this with there heavy use of skull and crossbones,  as modeled by this gal:





And the black hair, which with Rockabilly could be a nod to pin-up model of that era, Bettie Page, but is very much associated with the darker side of life.  Also, I have seen more than one souped up hearse at a car show with Rockabilly chicks and dudes hanging all over it.  

Goth is, well, goth.  The goal is to look like you just emerged from your coffin so....Also, if wearing these shoes don't make you want to die, then your doing it wrong.

Hey!  She's blonde!

Also, you must make-out with skulls.

 And emo....you know what, I know nothing about this genre or style, so I'm just gonna leave it alone.  Also, get off my lawn you kids. 





I write this particular blog mostly in jest because I do love Rockabilly and Goth fashions, and I'm probably just poking fun at it because I'm jealous I can't pull it off.  You look beautiful ladies!  Keep it up!

1 comment:

  1. I love how a commonality between emo and goth is "individualism"... but that EVERYONE within both those "ways of life" looks exactly the same.

    I really do love the Rockabilly style!

    ReplyDelete