Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Halloween Hottie of the Day/Book Club Recommendation

Okay, try to follow my logic on this one.

 Last night I finished the book Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.  It was a really good book and I highly recommended it, but it is not for the faint of heart, and some parts towards the end really bummed me out.  Bummed me out to the point where I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep because I was like "....bummer..."  I usually only read at night before bed and because of that I tend to have really vivid dreams about whichever book I am reading.  I read The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, a book about America's first serial killer HH Holmes, a few years ago.  I had such a realistic, terrifying dream that I was stuck in HH Holmes house of effing horrors he built that I couldn't even finish the book after that. 

Like most (and for sure like my sister, who can average reading a book or two a week) I am now seeking out some lighter fare, and I am thinking about re-reading the Dead Witch Walking series (officially called The Hollows series) a book series by Kim Harrison I first read when I was pregnant in the summer of 2010 and pretty much lived in my bathtub.  I was terribly reluctant to read them because I was like, "What's with all the Clint Eastwood title references?" (Every Witch Way But Dead, A Fistful of Charms, etc.) But my love for witches was too strong and I was desperate to find something, anything, that would lighten my mood. 

The books are fun mood-lighteners.  The kick-ass female protagonist, Rachel Morgan, a witch and a bounty hunter living in the United States after a genetically-altered tomato crop was unleashed on the population and...wow....like I said, it's been two years since I've read them, I just remember them being fun and entertaining. 

And Rachel Morgan!  A redheaded, leather-clad witch who is all kinds of sexy, but not in that sultry, femme-fatale sort of way.  More of an everyday kind of sexy, ya know what I mean?

Rachel Morgan, you are The Halloween Hottie of the Day! (Yes, I know this a fictitious character and looks different in the mind of each individual reader, but I think this book cover model does a pretty decent job!)  Check out this book series, it's a fun one!






No comments:

Post a Comment